This Software Evaluation License Agreement, (this "Agreement"), is a binding agreement between Data Storage Research , LLC d/b/a DSR Corporation, a Colorado S-Corporation company with offices located at 1536 Cole Blvd Suite 325, Golden, CO 80401 ("Licensor") and the person or entity identified on the Download Request Form (the “Request Form’) as the licensee of the Software ("Licensee" or “You”). As used herein, “Software” means the evaluation version of the DSR software identified on the Request Form.
LICENSOR PROVIDES THE SOFTWARE SUBJECT TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS SET FORTH IN THIS AGREEMENT AND ON THE CONDITION THAT LICENSEE ACCEPTS AND COMPLIES WITH THEM. BY CHECKING THE "ACCEPT" BOX ON THE REQUEST FORM, YOU (A) ACCEPT THIS AGREEMENT AND AGREE THAT LICENSEE IS LEGALLY BOUND BY ITS TERMS; AND (B) REPRESENT AND WARRANT THAT: (I) YOU ARE OF LEGAL AGE TO ENTER INTO A BINDING AGREEMENT; AND (II) IF LICENSEE IS A CORPORATION, GOVERNMENTAL ORGANIZATION, OR OTHER LEGAL ENTITY, YOU HAVE THE RIGHT, POWER, AND AUTHORITY TO ENTER INTO THIS AGREEMENT ON BEHALF OF LICENSEE AND BIND LICENSEE TO ITS TERMS. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, LICENSOR WILL NOT AND DOES NOT LICENSE THE SOFTWARE TO LICENSEE AND YOU MUST NOT DOWNLOAD, INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE OR DOCUMENTATION.
1. License Grant. Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, Licensor hereby grants Licensee a non-exclusive, non-sublicensable, and non-transferable license to: (a) use the Software in object code format solely for Licensee's internal evaluation; and (b) use any user manuals, or installation guides relating to the Software provided by Licensor to Licensee with the Software (the "Documentation") solely for Licensee's internal evaluation purposes in connection with Licensee's use of the Software. Licensee will not use the Software for any purpose other than evaluating and testing such Software internally in connection with assessing whether Licensee desires to enter into a commercial license agreement with Licensor for the Software. This Agreement does not provide a commercial license and Licensee's use of the Software for commercial and productive purposes is subject to the parties' entering into and executing a separate commercial license agreement.
2. Use Restrictions. Licensee shall not use the Software or Documentation for any purposes beyond the scope of the license granted in this Agreement. Without limiting the foregoing and except as otherwise expressly set forth in this Agreement, Licensee shall not at any time, directly or indirectly: (a) copy, modify, or create derivative works of the Software or the Documentation, in whole or in part, or use the Software as the basis for the preparation of other software programs; (b) rent, lease, lend, sell, sublicense, assign, distribute, publish, transfer, or otherwise make available the Software, the Documentation or derivative works thereof; (c) reverse engineer, disassemble, decompile, decode, adapt, or otherwise attempt to derive or gain access to the source code of the Software, in whole or in part; (d) remove any proprietary notices from the Software or the Documentation; or (e) use the Software in any manner or for any purpose that infringes, misappropriates, or otherwise violates any intellectual property right or other right of Licensor or any person, or that violates any applicable law.
3. Reservation of Rights. Licensor reserves all rights not expressly granted to Licensee in this Agreement. Except for the limited rights and licenses expressly granted under this Agreement, nothing in this Agreement grants, by implication, waiver, estoppel, or otherwise, to Licensee or any third party any intellectual property rights or other right, title, or interest in or to the Software or Documentation. Licensee acknowledges that, as between Licensee and Licensor, Licensor owns all right, title, and interest, including all intellectual property rights, in and to the Software and Documentation.
4. Delivery. Licensor shall deliver the Software to Licensee electronically.
5. Licensee Responsibilities. Licensee is responsible and liable for all uses of the Software and Documentation resulting from access provided by Licensee, directly or indirectly, whether such access or use is permitted by or in violation of this Agreement.
6. Support. Licensor has no obligation under this Agreement to provide support, maintenance, upgrades, modifications, or new releases of the Software or Documentation to Licensee.
7. Evaluation Fee. The parties agree that no license fees or other fees will be payable under this Agreement in exchange for the licenses granted under this Agreement. Licensee acknowledges and agrees that this fee arrangement is made in consideration of the mutual covenants set forth in this Agreement, including, without limitation, the disclaimers, exclusions, and limitations of liability set forth herein.
8. Confidential Information. “Confidential Information” means non-public information or material proprietary to Licensor whether or not designated as “Confidential Information” by Licensor, whether or not owned or developed by Licensor, including without limitation the Software and Documentation. Confidential Information may include, but is not limited to, source and object code, all information and documentation relating to the Software, confidential intellectual property, trade secrets, third-party confidential information, and other sensitive or proprietary information, whether or not marked, designated or otherwise identified as "confidential." Licensee agrees to hold the Confidential Information in strict confidence and not to disclose, provide, transfer, or otherwise make available all or any part of the Confidential Information to third parties. Licensee may disclose the Confidential Information on a need-to-know basis, and only in furtherance of Licensee’s business relationship with Licensor, to its employees, consultants, and independent contractors who are under a contractual obligation not to disclose such information upon terms no less restrictive than this section. Licensee agrees to use the same degree of care, but no less than a reasonable degree of care, to prevent the unauthorized use, dissemination, or publication of the Confidential Information as Licensee uses to protect its own confidential information. In particular, Licensee agrees to maintain the existence, test results or benchmark results, features and capabilities of the Software as secret and confidential. Licensee acknowledges that unauthorized disclosure or use of the Confidential Information could cause irreparable harm and significant injury to Licensor which is difficult to ascertain. Accordingly, Licensee agrees that Licensor shall be entitled, in addition to any other rights and remedies it may have, to such injunctive relief as is necessary to restrain any continuing or further breach of this Agreement without showing or proving any actual damages sustained and without requirement of bond.
9. Feedback. Licensor shall be the sole and exclusive owner of, and Licensee hereby assigns to Licensor all rights in any of Licensee's proposed or suggested changes, modifications, upgrades or enhancements, in design, functionality or otherwise, to the Software. Licensee acknowledges that Licensor is under no obligation to consider or implement any such changes, modifications, upgrades or enhancements recommended or requested by Licensee.
10. Disclaimer of Warranties. THE SOFTWARE AND DOCUMENTATION ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" AND LICENSOR HEREBY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED, STATUTORY, OR OTHERWISE. LICENSOR SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT, AND ALL WARRANTIES ARISING FROM COURSE OF DEALING, USAGE, OR TRADE PRACTICE. LICENSOR MAKES NO WARRANTY OF ANY KIND THAT THE SOFTWARE AND DOCUMENTATION, OR ANY PRODUCTS OR RESULTS OF THE USE THEREOF, WILL MEET LICENSEE'S OR ANY OTHER PERSON'S REQUIREMENTS, OPERATE WITHOUT INTERRUPTION, ACHIEVE ANY INTENDED RESULT, BE COMPATIBLE OR WORK WITH ANY SOFTWARE, SYSTEM OR OTHER SERVICES, OR BE SECURE, ACCURATE, COMPLETE, FREE OF HARMFUL CODE, OR ERROR FREE.
11. Indemnification. Licensee agrees to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless Licensor and its officers, directors, employees, agents, affiliates, successors, and assigns from and against any and all losses, damages, liabilities, or costs (including attorneys’ fees) resulting from any third-party claim, suit, action, or proceeding based on Licensee's (a) negligence or willful misconduct or (b) use of the Software or Documentation in a manner not authorized or contemplated by this Agreement. In the event Licensor seeks indemnification or defense from Licensee under this provision, Licensor shall promptly notify Licensee in writing of the claim(s) brought against Licensor for which Licensor seeks indemnification or defense. Licensor reserves the right, at its option and in its sole discretion, to assume full control of the defense of claims with legal counsel of Licensor's choice. Licensee may not enter into any third-party agreement, which would, in any manner whatsoever, affect Licensor's rights, constitute an admission of fault by Licensor or bind Licensor in any manner, without Licensor's prior written consent.
12. Limitations of Liability. IN NO EVENT WILL LICENSOR BE LIABLE UNDER OR IN CONNECTION WITH THIS AGREEMENT UNDER ANY LEGAL OR EQUITABLE THEORY, INCLUDING BREACH OF CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), STRICT LIABILITY, AND OTHERWISE, FOR ANY: (A) CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT, EXEMPLARY, SPECIAL, ENHANCED, OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES; (B) INCREASED COSTS, DIMINUTION IN VALUE OR LOST BUSINESS, PRODUCTION, REVENUES, OR PROFITS; (C) LOSS OF GOODWILL OR REPUTATION; (D) USE, INABILITY TO USE, LOSS, INTERRUPTION, DELAY OR RECOVERY OF ANY DATA, OR BREACH OF DATA OR SYSTEM SECURITY; OR (E) COST OF REPLACEMENT GOODS OR SERVICES, IN EACH CASE REGARDLESS OF WHETHER LICENSOR WAS ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH LOSSES OR DAMAGES OR SUCH LOSSES OR DAMAGES WERE OTHERWISE FORESEEABLE. IN NO EVENT WILL LICENSOR'S AGGREGATE LIABILITY ARISING OUT OF OR RELATED TO THIS AGREEMENT UNDER ANY LEGAL OR EQUITABLE THEORY, INCLUDING BREACH OF CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), STRICT LIABILITY, AND OTHERWISE EXCEED $1.00 (one United States dollar).
13. Term and Termination. The term of Agreement commences when Licensee acknowledges acceptance of this Agreement and downloads the Software and will continue in effect until terminated as set forth in this Section 13. Licensor may terminate this Agreement on written notice with immediate effect to Licensee if Licensee materially breaches or fails to comply with any terms or conditions of this Agreement. Licensor may also terminate this Agreement without cause upon ten (10) days prior written notice. Upon expiration or earlier termination of this Agreement, the license granted hereunder will also terminate and Licensee shall cease using and delete, and/or destroy the Software and Documentation. This Section 13 and Sections 2, 3, 5, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, and 14 survive any termination or expiration of this Agreement.
(a) Entire Agreement. This Agreement constitutes the sole and entire agreement of the parties with respect to the subject matter of this Agreement and supersedes all prior and contemporaneous understandings, agreements, and representations and warranties, both written and oral, with respect to such subject matter.
(b) Notices. All notices, requests, consents, claims, demands, waivers, and other communications hereunder (each, a "Notice") must be in writing and addressed to the parties at the addresses set forth on the Request Form (or to such other address that may be designated by the party giving Notice from time to time in accordance with this Section). All Notices must be delivered by personal delivery, nationally recognized overnight courier (with all fees pre-paid), email (with confirmation of transmission), or certified or registered mail (in each case, return receipt requested, postage pre-paid). Except as otherwise provided in this Agreement, a Notice is effective only: (i) upon receipt by the receiving party, and (ii) if the party giving the Notice has complied with the requirements of this Section.
(c) Amendment and Modification; Waiver. No amendment to or modification of this Agreement is effective unless it is in writing and signed by an authorized representative of each party. No waiver by any party of any of the provisions hereof will be effective unless explicitly set forth in writing and signed by the party so waiving. Except as otherwise set forth in this Agreement, (i) no failure to exercise, or delay in exercising, any rights, remedy, power, or privilege arising from this Agreement will operate or be construed as a waiver thereof and (ii) no single or partial exercise of any right, remedy, power, or privilege hereunder will preclude any other or further exercise thereof or the exercise of any other right, remedy, power, or privilege.
(d) Severability. If any provision of this Agreement is illegal or unenforceable under applicable law, the remainder of the provision will be amended to achieve as closely as possible the effect of the original term and all other provisions of this Agreement will continue in full force and effect.
(e) Governing Law; Submission to Jurisdiction. This Agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the internal laws of the State of Colorado without giving effect to any choice or conflict of law provision or rule. Any legal suit, action, or proceeding arising out of or related to this Agreement or the Application shall be instituted exclusively in the federal courts of the United States or the courts of the State of Colorado in each case located in the city and county of Denver. Any and all objections to the exercise of jurisdiction by such courts and to venue in such courts are expressly waived by the parties. ANY CAUSE OF ACTION OR CLAIM ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO THIS AGREEMENT MUST BE COMMENCED WITHIN ONE (1) YEAR AFTER THE CAUSE OF ACTION ACCRUES OTHERWISE SUCH CAUSE OF ACTION OR CLAIM IS PERMANENTLY BARRED.
(f) Assignment. Licensee may not assign or transfer any of its rights or delegate any of its obligations hereunder, in each case whether voluntarily, involuntarily, by operation of law or otherwise. Any purported assignment, transfer, or delegation in violation of this Section is null and void.
(g) Export Regulation. The Software may be subject to US export control laws, including the Export Control Reform Act and its associated regulations. Licensee shall not, directly or indirectly, export, re-export, or release the Software to, or make the Software accessible from, any jurisdiction or country to which export, re-export, or release is prohibited by law, rule, or regulation. Licensee shall comply with all applicable federal laws, regulations, and rules, and complete all required undertakings (including obtaining any necessary export license or other governmental approval), prior to exporting, re-exporting, releasing, or otherwise making the Software available outside the US.
(h) US Government Rights. Each of the Documentation and the Software is a "commercial item" as that term is defined at 48 C.F.R. § 2.101, consisting of "commercial computer software" and "commercial computer software documentation" as such terms are used in 48 C.F.R. § 12.212. Accordingly, if Licensee is an agency of the US Government or any contractor therefor, Licensee only receives those rights with respect to the Software and Documentation as are granted to all other end users under license, in accordance with (a) 48 C.F.R. § 227.7201 through 48 C.F.R. § 227.7204, with respect to the Department of Defense and their contractors, or (b) 48 C.F.R. § 12.212, with respect to all other US Government licensees and their contractors.